What is Academic English Preparation?
The Academic English Preparation (AEP) Program helps you make fast, effective progress in speaking, writing, reading and listening in English. Improving your level of English before you begin your pathway program could be the confidence boost you need to excel in your studies.
Quick facts about the program
- Mode of study: Full time, on campus
- Compulsory online and/or work-based training, placements, other community-based learning, collaborative research training arrangements: Not applicable
- Award: On completion, a Certificate of Completion is issued
- Maximum class size: 18
- Teaching time: 23 hours per week
- Minimum entry requirement: IELTS 4.5 with no band less than 4.0
- Tuition fees: View our course fees page
- Assessment: Four skills assessed (reading, writing, listening and speaking) at the end of every 5 weeks in the form of exams at 22.5% each and 10% language control (online grammar and vocabulary tests weekly). Final report for the level is 10 weeks (2 x 5 weeks results combined)
1-5 levels (The study period for each level is 10 weeks).
Supporting students under 18
Learning material and practices are contextualised to meet the individual needs of the learning taking into account the age and maturity of the student.
Learning outcomes of AEP
At the end of this course students will have demonstrated the ability to do the following in English:
- Initiate and sustain a general conversation confidently and effectively in routine social situations appropriate to the level of the class
- Produce appropriate oral and written texts which convey meaning with a degree of fluency and accuracy on a range of topics and in a variety of genres appropriate to the level of the class
- Comprehend straightforward heard text delivered at normal speed and without major distortion sufficiently to cope in routine social situations appropriate to the level of the class
- Comprehend with reasonable speed the meaning and identify the structural features of a variety of written texts appropriate to the level of the class
- Use all basic verb tenses accurately and appropriately and display knowledge of more advanced tenses in clear contexts
- Manipulate syntax to convey meaning effectively
- Use a limited variety of lexis and expressions in a range of common topic areas
- Reproduce sound and speech patterns of English with a reasonable degree of accuracy.
- Develop research skills using a variety of resources (internet, books, journals etc)
- To use critical thinking skills to evaluate texts, question ideas in texts and those offered by others, and to support arguments using logic
- To use IT programs to produce documents relevant to each level
- To develop general study skills.
We speak English every day
Foundation Program student Jane from Hong Kong tells us about how her English and confidence improved when she came to Taylors College Perth.
No IELTS required
If you successfully complete the AEP, you don’t need an IELTS score to get into the UWA Foundation Program, the Diploma of Commerce or the Diploma of Science at Taylors College Perth.
Fundamental skills for academic learning
Gain essential skills for academic learning including taking notes, writing essays, giving presentations and summarising information. Adding these tools to your skillset will help you to learn faster and feel more confident. Modern educational technology helps you achieve more, faster.
Personal study plan
We’ll work out your level of English when you apply. When you get to Taylors College Perth, you’ll be assessed to check we’ve placed you at the right level.
As much time as you need
If you need a bit more time to reach the level of English required for your academic program, we can extend your AEP study plan.
We keep class sizes small to give you as much individual attention as possible. You’ll have 23 hours of tuition each week.
We’ll check your progress regularly, providing reports every five weeks, to make sure you reach your full potential in English.
Delivered on campus
You’ll study on the UWA Claremont Campus, so there’s no need to travel elsewhere for classes or switch locations when you begin your academic program.
Expert English teachers
AEP teachers are highly qualified and experienced professionals in English as a Second Language (ESL).
You’ll get all the academic advice you need, to help you make a smooth transition to your academic program.
Course Name: Academic English Preparation (AEP). CRICOS Course Code: 085947A.
Provider: Study Group Australia Pty Limited trading as Taylors College. CRICOS Provider Code: 01682E.