Happy student smiling on UWA campus

Arriving to study in Australia summary

Congratulations! You're almost there.

Here is a list of what you need to know before you arrive and some things that will help you get ready for your trip to Australia.

We wish you a safe and hassle-free journey and look forward to welcoming you to our Taylors College community!

Important things to bring

It is very important that you remember to bring the following documents with you. In most cases these documents are very valuable and you may not want to bring the originals. It's a good idea to bring 'certified true copies' of the originals instead.

  • Your valid passport with student visa
  • Your letter of offer from Taylors College
  • A copy of your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment form
  • A copy of your Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) form, if you're under 18
  • At least three copies of your academic results that have been certified as true copies by the principal of your school or by your agent
  • A certified true copy of your birth certificate, passport and visa
  • Your home address in English

Immigration information

You will need to have a current student visa whilst studying in Australia. To apply for a visa you will need to contact the Australian Diplomatic Mission (Australian High Commission, consulate, or embassy) in your home country. Please note that it can take up to six months to be granted this visa. Find out about student visas for Australia.

Overseas Student Health Cover

As a stipulation of your student visa, you are required to obtain overseas student health cover. Our campus-elected provider is Allianz. If you have opted to use Allianz, your healthcare card will be available on campus during orientation. If you have decided to go with another health insurance provider, you are responsible for knowing your health cover details. Find out more about the Allianz Overseas Student Health Cover


We understand how important it is for international students to find the right place to live while studying overseas. Check out our Accommodation page for information on all types of accommodation options in Perth. 


Summers (Dec-Feb) in Australia can get quite warm, with temperatures reaching the high 30s (°C) during the day. Cool, light clothes such as t-shirts, shirts, blouses and jeans, casual trousers or skirts are quite common among students.

You should also wear a hat and long-sleeved shirts for protection from sunburn.

During winter (Jun-Aug), temperatures can drop to below 10°C so sweatshirts, jumpers, a coat or other warm clothing is recommended.

Australians generally have a casual and relaxed approach to dressing. On campus, most students will be dressed informally.

Personal items

You may also like to bring items such as toiletries, bath towels, bed linen, blankets for the winter months, bilingual dictionary, alarm clock, camera, your home country driver's licence and your international driver's licence .

You can bring items such as desktop or laptop computers and tablets duty-tax free into Australia provided Customs is satisfied these items are intended to be taken out of Australia on your departure. You should note that adapters maybe required as Australia uses 240 watts for electricity appliances.

Cooking utensils and other household items can be purchased at reasonable cost from department stores or second-hand shops after your arrival in Australia.

More pre-arrival information

Pre-arrival checklist

Have you?

What does 'certified true copy' mean?

A certified true copy is a photocopy of your document that has been stamped and signed by your Principal, a Justice of the Peace or your agent. They are verifying that they have seen the original document and that the photocopy is a ‘certified true copy’ of this.

Perth Airport

We are open for your studies – Read our latest guidance for current students or find out more about starting your course.